Ystradgynlais & District

History and Heritage

Ministers of Sardis Chapel

Sardis Independent Chapel was built in 1861 and was still going strong in the early 2010s but is now closed.


From the article in the Llais of December 3rd 1932 on the centenary of Sardis Chapel:-

In 1871 the Reverend R W Roberts, Pentrefoelas, came as minister, he being 51 at the time. He served Sardis until 1882, continuing as pastor at Godre'rhos for 3 years after that date. He took a prominent part in the founding of Soar Chapel, Seven Sisters, and the cause was under his charge for some time. He passed away in 1889 and was laid to rest in the graveyard at Godre'rhos. Mr Roberts was of a fiery disposition and he retained much of the fervour of the methodist revival of 1859. He was recognised as a man of very strong convictions; he was a Puritan with more judgement in his preaching than mercy!
A strong temperance advocate he spoke very strongly of the breaking of the Sabbath. If he saw anyone carrying water from the well on Sunday morning he announced the sin to the congregation that evening. He believed that people should keep enough water in the house over Sunday.
Mr Roberts was a writer of no mean ability and besides contributing to several Welsh publications brought out three booklets. He did not possess the ability to handle men and there was a great deal of friction between him and his deacons. It was said that his salary never exceeded £7 a month between the two churches in his charge.


From the article in the Llais of December 3rd 1932 on the centenary of Sardis Chapel:-

The pastorate of the Reverend W Moelfryn Morgan which commenced in September 1886 marked the start of a new era in religion. Mr Morgan came from Nottingham College and resigned the pastorate of Godre’Rhos in 1898 and Sardis in 1910. There was a great increase in the population during the pastorate of Mr Morgan, with a comparative increase in membership. He accepted scores of people into membership in 1895 and the revival of 1904-5. As a member of the Breconshire County Council and the School Board, Mr Morgan took a prominent part in increasing educational facilities in the district.


From the article in the Llais of December 3rd 1932 on the centenary of Sardis Chapel:-

His successor was the Reverend R M Rhys, who came from Dowlais and who remained until 1924, after twelve years.


From the article in the Llais of December 3rd 1932 on the centenary of Sardis Chapel:-

The present pastor, the Reverend D J Moses, was inducted in December 1926.


Reverend Owen Williams was definitely in place between 1941, when he officiated at a wedding, and 1950, when he officiated at a funeral.

From the South Wales Voice newspaper, 20th December 1941:-


The wedding was solemnised at Water Street Chapel Carmarthen, last Thursday of the Rev Owen Williams, Pastor of Sardis Chapel Ystradgynlais, youngest son of Mr and Mrs W O Williams Tanygrisiau Blaenau Festiniog and Miss Glenys Phillips LRAM, younger daughter of the late Mr and Mrs John Phillips Bronydre Penllwyn Park Carmarthen.
Given away by her brother-in-law, Mr J A Hamer Harries, the bride wore a French ice blue model two piece with hat to match and Burgundy accessories and had a spray of burgundy tinted orchids. She was unattended.
Mr Trevor Williams, brother of bridegroom was best man and groomsmen were the Rev Gerallt Jones and Mr T J Jones.
After the reception at the Dolwar Cafe Carmarthen the couple left for their honeymoon in North Wales. To travel the bride wore a cocoa brown tweed suit under a brown squirrel fur coat with hat to match.
The bride was organist at Water Street Chapel.

Their Son John Huw Owen WILLIAMS was Born 1943


From the Llais newspaper, 8th April 1960:-


Mr J. Arwyn Phillips who has accepted the call to become minister of Sardis Chapel in September, will preach at the chapel next Sunday.


From the Llais newspaper, 15th January 1970:-

Children of Sardis Chapel, Ystradgynlais, who performed a highly successful nativity play at the Chapel. Music was provided by Mr Euart Butler, Mr Rheinallt Morgan, viola, Mrs Phillys Jones and Mrs Glenys Watkins, organists. The very effective flood lighting was taken care of by Mr Stanley Morgan, and Mr John of Maescynog. The pagent was created and produced by the Rev D.J. Thomas, Minister, and Mrs Thomas, with members of the Band of Hope, Young People's Society and Sunday School.

Contact Ystradgynlais History
Telephone : Available on Request

Email Yeargroup:
Email Wolfian Design:
Ystradgynlais Wargraves
How To Write Alternate History

Click the cover to purchase the paperback

How To Write Alternate History is a series of articles by Grey Wolf, examining subjects such as the identity of man, whether man makes the weather, how the everyday in an alternate world is going to be changed and what names for music, vehicles, weapons etc would be different.