Chapels and Churches of Cwmtwrch and Gurnos
Cwmtwrch has three chapels that remain active places of worship - Beulah, a Baptist chapel, Bethania, a Methodist chapel, and Ebenezer, an independent/congregationalist chapel. There is also the Tro'r Gleien Mission Hall.
Our website has extensive pages on most of the ten or eleven chapels and churches that have existed during Cwmtwrch's history. You can click on their name in the menu, where they are conveniently sorted by location, or from the summary of each chapel below.
Ebenezer Chapel is an independent/congregationalist establishment, and grew out of Temperance Hall. When it was decided that the latter was too small to serve the needs of the 1890s, it was decided to construct an entirely new building across the road, Ebenezer Chapel.
Saint Peter's was a church within the parish of Ystradgynlais. The building that housed it had been erected as a storehouse prior to conversion to church use in 1858. The church seems to have been partially closed from the 1930s onwards and by the late 1950s had been closed and was again being used as a stores. It was demolished some time after 1960.
Temperance Hall was built in 1860, having Cwmllynfell Chapel as its mother church. In 1892 it was decided that it was too small for the then-congregation, but instead of rebuilding it, it was decided to construct Ebenezer Chapel across the road. Thereafter, Temperance Hall remained as a vestry for Ebenezer. It has now been sold and converted into a private residence.
Tro'r Gleien Mission Hall grew out of the Religious Revival of 1904, and was constructed between 1909-1912, with founder and Pastor George Griffiths in charge from 1912 to 1970. The building was rebuilt in 1962, and remains an active place of worship within Cwmtwrch.