The George is located at the further end of Upper Cwmtwrch as you leave towards Cwmllynfell and Brynamman, and is the last building on the right hand side of the road (A 4068).
In recent years this pub has been Lowthers restaurant, and more recently The George. Historically it was the George IV, and was famous for having parts of the inn in 3 different counties - Breconshire, Glamorgan, and Carmarthenshire.
From the Labour Voice newspaper, 27th June 1914:-
Cwmtwrch, says a daily paper, contains a house - the George IV Hotel which stands in three counties. In one room of this house there is a three-legged table, with one leg in Glamorgan another in Breconshire, and the third in Carmarthenshire. If one must get drunk, why not in three counties at the same time?
Above, a recent photograph of The George, Upper Cwmtwrch.
Below, a photograph of The George IV in 1880
The George IV, Cwmtwrch
The Morgan family were the licensees of The George IV inn for some years. Mrs Sarah Morgan is recorded as the holder of the license in the 1901 Kelly's Directory. In the 1910 Kelly's Directory, it is John Morgan, probably a relative, but only the 1901 census might be able to prove that. The 1911 census shows John Morgan in residence at the George IV with his family - his wife Margaret, their sons David and Dan, and four daughters, Mary the eldest, the next Alice, then Maggie and Beatrice. All of the daughters are given as working in the inn, in some form.
As can be seen from the newspaper snippets below D.T. Morgan (either David, or more possibly Dan, who is given as Science Student aged 24 in the 1911 census) has been appointed to a training ship. We see that by 1919 John Morgan is dead, and his widow Margaret is running the George IV, their daughter Alice wedding someone strangely unnamed in the newspaper article. In 1929 Mrs (Margaret) Morgan retires as licensee of the George IV inn.
From the Labour Voice newspaper, 10th April 1915 comes the news of Mr D.T. Morgan late of the George IV being appointed assistant-master on a Royal Navy training ship:-
OLD CWMTWRCH BOY
It is interesting to note that Mr D.T. Morgan, late of the George IV inn, has been appointed assistant-master on the Training Ship, "Exmouth" off Grays, Essex. Mr Morgan will have about 500 boys under his care. He was at one time a teacher at the Cwmtwrch Schools, where he was highly esteemed.
From the Labour Voice newspaper, 19th May 1919:-
At the Swansea Registry Office on Saturday morning the marriage by special licence of Miss Alice Morgan, daughter of the late Mr John Morgan and Mrs Morgan, of the George IV Inn, Gwys, was performed. Harold Dixon, nephew of the bride accompanied the contracting parties. The bride's dress was a navy blue costume and she wore a picture hat. After the ceremony the party went to Porthcawl. They were the recipients of numerous useful presents and congratulations from their friends.
The Labour Voice for April 13th 1929 records the retirement of Mrs Morgan as licensee of the George IV, Cwmtwrch, and the coming of Mr John Davies in her place:-
George IV Inn - Mrs Morgan, the licensee of the George IV Inn for a number of years, removed to a private residence on Monday. The new licensee is Mr John Davies, late of Ystalyfera. This noted old inn, which belonged to the Midland Railway Co, is now owned by the Crosswell Breweries, Co, Cardiff.
The George IV, Upper Cwmtwrch
John and Margaretta Davies took over the George IV Inn in April 1929, as recorded in the local newspapers.
The Labour Voice for April 13th 1929 records the arrival of John Davies as the new licensee of the George IV Inn, Upper Cwmtwrch
New Licensee - Mr John Davies, Wade Avenue (late fireman at "Next Week" Colliery), took over the license of the George IV Inn, Upper Cwmtwrch.
John Davies at the George IV Inn. When first married, he lived in Abercrave Terrace and was a miner. After the First World War, he moved to Ystradgynlais and worked in Ynyscedwyn Colliery with some of his sons.
Margaretta Davies, born Jones, wife of John Davies.
John and Margaretta Davies behind the bar of the George IV Inn, photographed with regulars
Thank you to John and Margaretta's granddaughter, Lynn, for the photographs.
Above, and below, regulars of the George IV, photographed in 1968
Among the children of John and Margaretta Davies were sons Giraldus and David Glyndwr (known as Glyn) and daughter Fiona, who together with her husband Penry, took over the running of the George IV after the death of John Davies in 1955.
This photograph shows John and Margaretta Davies with all 11 of their children who survived into adulthood (3 died in infancy). It was taken around 1939, outside the George IV Inn, Upper Cwmtwrch. Left to right on the top row: Ioan Watchyn Davies, Cledwyn Davies, Morgan Glanville Davies, Giraldus Davies, David Glyndwr Davies, William Iowerth Davies, George Raymond Davies, Thomas Aneurin Davies. Seated on the bottom row: Margaret Elizabeth Davies, Mrs Margaretta Davies, Edith Fiona Davies, John Valentine Davies (the licensee), Mary Carmen Davies.
Glyn Davies was killed in the Second World War, aboard HMS Dulverton when she was sunk by German aircraft using glider bombs in the Aegean Sea in November 1943. He is remembered on our Ystradgynlais Wargraves website.
Sources of information include census returns, and the Llais newspaper, and family memories.
Sarah Morgan was the licensee in 1901, quite possibly having taken over from a deceased husband, as a David Morgan is mentioned at the George IV in 1887.
John Morgan was the licensee by 1910, but had died by 1919.
Margaret Morgan was the widow of John Morgan and was the licensee from his death until 1929.
John Davies became licensee of the George IV Inn in 1929, and held the position until his death in 1955, at the age of 83.
John Davies' daughter (Edith) Fiona married Rhys Penry Lloyd, known generally as Penry. They took over the license after John's death in 1955, and were still running the George IV in 1969 at the time of the wedding of their only son, Hugh.
The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local inns and public houses.
From the PAPER newspaper, DATE:-
From the PAPER newspaper, DATE:-