The Mission Hall in Penwyllt hosted the Sunday School in the village, but was also used for community purposes, such as sewing and knitting classes, and as a concert venue.
It was located at No 9 Powell Street, and was certainly up and running before 1915, as the Brecon County Times of 28th January 1915 records:-
A great improvement has been made... at the Mission Room, the wall partition separating the two rooms, which was very inconvenient for an entertainment, has been removed, thereby converting the whole into one large room. We are sure that all the inhabitants of Penwyllt will congratulate Mr T Ellis for carrying out this great improvement to the Mission Hall.
Thank You to David whose Pillars of Faith website provides the information up to the 1930s: www.ministers.pillars-of-faith.com AND MENTION OTHER SOURCES USED EG THE LLAIS
The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local churches and chapels, even when these were not part of any particular story. Sometimes they advertised forthcoming events, and at other times who was preaching, or had preached there recently.
From the Labour Voice newspaper, DATE:-
From the Voice DATE, WHAT:-