Located on Pen-y-Banc, Seven Sisters, Salem Baptist Chapel was built in 1899, and modified in 1911.
These photographs were taken in early 2021, but it was not possible to tell if the chapel remains in use.
The name stone of Salem Chapel simply records what it is, without any dates:-
and in English:-
Front view of Salem Chapel, Seven Sisters, taken in February 2021
Side view of Salem Chapel, Seven Sisters, taken in February 2021
Across the front of Salem Chapel, Seven Sisters, taken in February 2021
Thank You to David whose Pillars of Faith website provides the information up to the 1930s: www.ministers.pillars-of-faith.com
David James Davies was minister of Salem Chapel, Seven Sisters from 1895 to 1901. He was also minister of Ainon Chapel, Ystradgynlais from 1892 to 1930.
Daniel Davies was minister of Salem Baptist Chapel, Seven Sisters from 1902 to 1909. Previously he had been minister of Penuel, Rhosneigr and Capelgwym from 1896 to 1902.
William Bowen Griffiths was minister of Salem, Seven Sisters from 1911 to 1921. He had previously been minister of Saron, New Tredegar from 1881 to 1889, of Carmel, Cefn Coed from 1890 to 1897 and of Tabor, Llantrisant from 1897 to 1909.
H.H. Lewis was minister of Salem, Seven Sisters from 1924. At the same time he was minister of Bethania Baptist Chapel, Crynant from 1924 to 1937.
The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local churches and chapels, even when these were not part of any particular story. Sometimes they advertised forthcoming events, and at other times who was preaching, or had preached there recently.
This article in the South Wales Voice from June 1958 records the Baptist circuit's Cymanfu Ganu, a musical celebration. As can be seen Salem Baptist Chapel was part of the Cwm Dulais Baptist circuit together with Calfaria, Maesmarchog, and Bethania Chapel, Crynant:-
CHAPEL FULL FOR BAPTIST CYMANFA
Last Sunday the annual Gymanfa Ganu of he Cwm Dulais Baptist Chapels - Salem, Seven Sisters; Bethania, Crynant; and Calfaria, Maesmarchog, was held at Salem Chapel, Seven Sisters. The conductor was Mr Peter Phelps, Llansamlet, and the organists Miss G Griffiths (Salem) and Mrs Jones (Calfaria).
The singing was of an exceptionally high standard and the festival generally rated as beng the most outstanding for many years.
Throughout all three sessions - morning, afternoon and night the chapel was full to capacity, many people failing to gain admittance.
Rev D. J. Thomas presided during the morning and John Evans recited a psalm on behalf of Salem Chapel.
For the afternoon Mr John T Lewis, Banwen, chairman, and Miss Janice Davies recited a psalm on behalf of Maesmarchog.
From the Voice DATE, WHAT:-