Salem Chapel is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel in Crynant. Situated up the road opposite Segadelli's cafe and shop, it is on the left after you go under the bridge and up Brynawel. It is in good condition but closed in November 2017. A Trust has been formed in order to save the building, "Friends of Salem, Crynant". The building will still be used for community purposes and open for use.
The original construction was between 1769 and 1773 at a different site, located in Pen Pentre, which is still to be seen today as a private residence named "Yr Hen Gapel" (the old chapel). The existing chapel, in its present location, was built in 1867 and modified in a rebuild in 1937.
Salem Chapel's name stone says:-
Addoldy y trefnyddion Calfinaidd
and in English:-
The Welsh Calvinistic Methodists' Chapel
Thank You to David whose Pillars of Faith website provides the information up to the 1930s: www.ministers.pillars-of-faith.com
W D Jenkins was Minister of Salem Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Crynant, between 1891 and 1894. His first ministry had been at Pembrey, and then at Moriah chapel, Treboeth. He came to Crynant after ministries in Morriston and Llansamlet. After leaving Salem in 1894, he was minister of Seion, Seven Sisters from 1894 to 1896 and in Morriston from 1896 to 1906.
J Vincent Thomas was minister of Salem, Crynant from 1901 to 1908. He came from Penygroes, Cross Hands which was his first ministry. After leaving Salem, he ministered at Seion, Seven Sisters from 1908 to 1910, then at Salem, Vardre in Clydach between 1910 and 1919. He was minister of Bethel, Cross Hands and of Peniel, Foel Castell between 1919 and 1930, and took up the ministry of Bethania, Ferryside and Llansaint in 1930.
David Jones was minister of Salem Chapel from 1910 to 1919. Previously he had been minister of Llansawel and Rhydcymerau from 1893 to 1898, Jerusalem in Barry Dock from 1899 to 1901, and Bethania, Maerdy from 1901 to 1910. After his ministry at Salem, he became minister of Bethania, Glyn Neath from 1919 to 1928.
J Ivor Jenkins was minister of Salme Calvinistic Methodist Chapel from 1922 to 1927. Ifor Jenkins had been minister of Jerusalem Chapel, Ystalyfera from 1902 to 1913, and of Nazareth in Williamstown from 1913 to 1922 before coming to Salem in Crynant. After leaving Salem, he was minister of Gwasted and Penffordd from 1927 to 1933 and at the same time of Clynderwen 1927 to 1933. In 1933 he took up the ministry of Ebenezer, Haverfordwest and Dreen Hill.
L M Lewis was minister of Salem Chapel, Crynant from 1933, continuing into the 1940s. He had ministered at Hermon, Tynewydd, Ogmore Vale from 1923 to 1926 and Bethlehem, Porth from 1926 to 1933. In 1939 he took up the ministry of Seion, Seven Sisters in addition to Salem, Crynant
The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local churches and chapels, even when these were not part of any particular story. Sometimes they advertised forthcoming events, and at other times who was preaching, or had preached there recently.
From the Labour Voice newspaper, 2nd December 1939:-
A programme of unusually high standard was given at the organ recital held at Salem Chapel, Crynant, on Wednesday evening, and was well appreciated by the audience.
From the Voice 20th July 1967 comes news of renovations to Salem Chapel, in preparation for its centenary later that year:-
As a result of the excellent response to the 'Special Collection' at Salem Chapel, renovations are now nearly complete in preparation for the Centenary Services in October.
The 'Special Collection' is still open to members who wish to contribute.