Ystradgynlais & District

History and Heritage

Tabernacl, Ystradgynlais

Tabernacl Calvinistic Methodist Chapel is on Commercial Street, Ystradgynlais, and was constructed in 1890.

Tabernacl Ystradgynlais began as an offshoot of Yorath Chapel, Cwmgiedd in order to deal with the growing population of the area.

A committee was formed in 1890 to engage an architect and the foundation stone of Tabernacl Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was laid by Mrs Fleming Gough.

Tabernacl Chapel is on the corner of Commercial Street and Heol Maes-y-Dre, Ystradgynlais.

A sideways view along the front

A frontal view of Tabernacl

An alongside view focused on the date stone

Rear Views of Tabernacl Chapel


Tabernacl Chapel on Commercial Street


The rear view photographs (first set of 3) show the Tabernacl as viewed from Heol Maes-y-Dre. The front view photographs (second set of 3) show the Tabernacl upon Commercial Street, Ystradgynlais. The building next door to it, on the viewer's right, used to be the manse, but is now a house.

Foundation Stone

Unlike most chapels in the area, such as English Congregational Chapel, Ystradgynlais or Bethania Chapel, Cwmtwrch, Tabernacl has only a single foundation stone set into its front. Probably this is because the person involved was THE local landowner, and it was not thought appropriate that other people should be invited to do the job alongside him.


Organists of Tabernacl, Ystradgynlais

The Voice newspaper for January 18th 1968 records forty years service for the organist of Tabernacle (sic) Chapel, Ystradgynlais:-


Mr Danny Morgan, of Heol Maes-y-Dre, Ystradgynlais, completes 40 years as organist at Tabernacle Chapel, Ystradgynlais, this month. He had previously been organist at Bethlehem Chapel, Caerbont, Abercrave, for four years.
Well-known for his great interest in music, Mr Morgan has given faithful and valued service throughout the years, being precentor at the chapel gatherings, conductor and organist at the annual gymanfa ganu, in addition to providing the music at weddings and chapels in a number of the local chapels.
Mr Morgan retired four years ago as haulier at Ynyscedwyn Colliery, but hopes to continue as oeganist for a number of years. He is also the deputy conductor and deputy accompanist of the Ystradgynlais Male Voice Choir.
His co-organist at Tabernacle, Mrs Ceridwen Pritchard, has retired. Appointed as deputy organists are Miss Megan Hutchings of Tanyrhos, Brecon Road, who is on the teaching staff of Tro'rgeleien School, and Mr Griff Evans, of Maescynlais, Station Road.

The former Organist of Tabernacl, Mrs Sarah Ceridwen Pritchard, mentioned above in the 1968 newspaper article, is buried in Carmel Cemetery, Abercrave along with her husband Thomas, who predeceased her by three decades and was the organist at Moriah Chapel, presumably the one in Penrhos, Ystradgynlais. As a note, a funeral held at Carmel in 1944, for Evan Jones, a deacon of Moriah, Penrhos, had as both a pallbearer and the organist for the funeral an Aneurin Pritchard.

Sarah Ceridwen Pritchard was born in 1892 and died in 1973. The gravestone reads as follows ('her favorite spouse' should be read as 'his beloved wife') :-

Capel Tabernacl Ystradgynlais holds regular services and can be connected with on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Church/Capel-Tabernacl-Ystradgynlais-287136091867403/.

Contact Ystradgynlais History
Telephone : Available on Request

Email Yeargroup:
Email Wolfian Design:
Ystradgynlais Wargraves
How To Write Alternate History

Click the cover to purchase the paperback

How To Write Alternate History is a series of articles by Grey Wolf, examining subjects such as the identity of man, whether man makes the weather, how the everyday in an alternate world is going to be changed and what names for music, vehicles, weapons etc would be different.


Complete Cleaning company, Ystradgynlais

Penybont Sports Bar and Lounge

Complete Cleaning company, Ystradgynlais
Penybont Sports Bar and Lounge

Cofion Cynnes, newsagent and bookshop, Ystradgynlais